Ameriški predsednik Barack Obama je zgodaj leta 2009 napovedal 800 milijard dolarjev težek paket za stimuliranje gospodarstva. Del tega paketa je tudi program za povečanje investicij v javno infrastrukturo, lansiran oktobra 2010, v vrednosti 50 milijard dolarjev ter ustanovitev posebne banke (National Infrastructure Bank). Obamova administracija si od programa obeta predvsem izboljšanje kvalitete javne infrastrukture, od česar naj bi imel največ koristi predvsem srednji razred, ter seveda posredno stimuliranje gospodarstva z zagonom novega investicijskega cikla.
Glavni namen in koristi programa:
On Labor Day, President Obama announced a bold plan to renew and expand America’s infrastructure. The plan includes a $50 billion up-front investment connected to a six-year reauthorization of the surface transportation program and the creation of a National Infrastructure Bank to leverage private capital and select projects of regional and national significance. The Department of the Treasury, with the Council of Economic Advisers, has conducted an analysis of the economic effects of transportation infrastructure investment. Our analysis found four key reasons why now is an optimal time to increase our investment in transportation infrastructure:
- Well designed infrastructure investments have long term economic benefits;
- The middle class will benefit disproportionately from this investment;
- There is currently a high level of underutilized resources that can be used to improve and expand our infrastructure; and
- There is strong demand by the public and businesses for additional transportation infrastructure investments.
Return on Investment
- Many studies have found evidence of large private sector productivity gains from public infrastructure investments, in many cases with higher returns than private capital investment. Research has shown that well designed infrastructure investments can raise economic growth, productivity, and land values, while also providing significant positive spillovers to areas such as economic development, energy efficiency, public health and manufacturing.